Over the weekend I replaced the leaking inlet valve of our toilet. What should have been a 5 minute job took a couple of days as whoever installed it in the first place glued the nut joining the inlet pipe to the inlet valve. This meant that I had to cut the inlet valve out once I had managed to snap things off badly inside the cistern. No going back once I had snapped a couple of the plastic bits on the inside. Once I got it out I was able to replace it in a matter of minutes 🙂
Time for bed. I’ve successfully hacked an app I need for work to do something it is not supposed to do 🙂 A little reverse engineering, byte patching and single stepping through machine code and I now have it being quite naughty 🙂
I’ve been using a new disassembler a lot over the last couple of weeks called Hopper. I’m finding it to be well worth the money. So much so that I initially purchased it through the Apple App store, and then purchased it again directly from the developer so I could get access to the latest version more quickly.
It has many of the features of IDA Pro at a fraction of the cost!
I got another email from the awesome tech support guys at Drobo this morning asking about my DroboPro. I told them it had died again and they offered to replace it rather cheaply, they also suggested that both batteries might need to be replaced rather than just the CR2032 coin cell. I removed the main backup battery pack and pressed the power button and the thing booted up. I’m not shutting the thing down again until I’m sure I’ve got ALL of the data this time 😉
I spoke too soon. I rebooted the box to get it to enable iSCSI to allow for a faster transfer and it hasn’t come back to life again 🙁
At least I managed to get the one thing I didn’t have a backup copy of off the unit, so I’m pretty much good to go on my rebuild using a simple beige box.
After a small hint from one of the Drobo tech support staff I was able to fix my DroboPro 🙂
It turns out that there is a little CR2032 coin cell on the main board that had gone flat. I replaced that and the machine came good 🙂
It is almost 4 years old, so it has served me reasonably well. I have backups of most of the data, but there may be some things I have lost. Ah well. I’ve been wanting to open the thing up and have a look inside for a while now. They are quite nicely built I have to say. It is all back together at the moment, but I’ll probably rip it to bits again and take some pictures.