I got another email from the awesome tech support guys at Drobo this morning asking about my DroboPro. I told them it had died again and they offered to replace it rather cheaply, they also suggested that both batteries might need to be replaced rather than just the CR2032 coin cell. I removed the main backup battery pack and pressed the power button and the thing booted up. I’m not shutting the thing down again until I’m sure I’ve got ALL of the data this time 😉
I spoke too soon. I rebooted the box to get it to enable iSCSI to allow for a faster transfer and it hasn’t come back to life again 🙁
At least I managed to get the one thing I didn’t have a backup copy of off the unit, so I’m pretty much good to go on my rebuild using a simple beige box.
After a small hint from one of the Drobo tech support staff I was able to fix my DroboPro 🙂
It turns out that there is a little CR2032 coin cell on the main board that had gone flat. I replaced that and the machine came good 🙂
It is almost 4 years old, so it has served me reasonably well. I have backups of most of the data, but there may be some things I have lost. Ah well. I’ve been wanting to open the thing up and have a look inside for a while now. They are quite nicely built I have to say. It is all back together at the moment, but I’ll probably rip it to bits again and take some pictures.
this is a quick post using the browser on the Raspberry Pi. It works pretty well as far as I can see 🙂
Yes indeed, that package was a Raspberry Pi 🙂
Now all I have to do is use some of my copious spare time to have a play with it 😉
I just got an email that seems to suggest that I may have one on the way via DHL Express 🙂