I’ve been a bit quiet of late

It’s been quite a while since my last post. I’ve been really busy with my work and haven’t had much time for my many hobbies of late.

Over the last weekend I managed to dig out my 3D printer that I’d been working on for a while and finally managed to get it going. There were a couple of problems with it. The first was caused by corrupted settings in the EEPROM which once fixed started giving good prints almost straight away. The second problem was that unless I flexed the controller board in just the right way no data was transmitted over the USB. This made reflashing the device really tricky as I had to hold the board in just the right position during the flashing process and it was very easy to get it wrong resulting in a corrupted firmware.

Today on my lunch break I got out the oscilloscope and was able to see the serial data on the processor pin (Atmel Mega2560). I then looked up the datasheet for the USB chip (another Atmel processor) and found that there was serial data appearing there as well. A quick little go with the soldering iron on that pin (fortunately an easy one to get to as it was on a corner of the chip) and the data started appearing on the USB as expected 🙂



Join the Conversation

1 Comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.