Daniel's Stuff

I write code

HTTPMail Plugin and Leopard

Tonight I’ve had some success with getting the plugin working under Leopard. It still isn’t ready for public consumption, however it is coming along nicely.
Currently if a httpmail account is already configured it will connect to the Hotmail servers and successfully download the messages. Unfortunately sub-folders aren’t quite working yet, nor is creation of new accounts or editing of account settings.
Still, it is progress 🙂 Now it is time to go to bed and get some sleep. With a wife, two kids and a day job, I don’t get as much time to work on these things as I once did 😉

248 comments for “HTTPMail Plugin and Leopard

1. Kenny
    November 20, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Thanx Daniel for your work,

My next child will be named after you.

Kenny

2. Lars
    November 20, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Hi Daniel,
    Thx a lot. I have a small problem though. Every time I open my hotmail I start downloading all my messages again. Is this because I don’t have a plus account in hotmail?

3. Ahmed AL
    November 21, 2007 at 10:08 pm

your work is highly appreciated. thank you

4. Kleinwachter
    November 22, 2007 at 12:04 am

Message to Lars. Go to your Mail Preferences, then Accounts, select your hotmail account, then select the ADVANCED tab. ABove the field of HTTPMAIL URL, change the field to read MARK DOWNLOADED MESSAGES AS READ. This should correct the problem.

5. Elad Berger
    November 22, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Hello Kleinwachter,
    That doesn’t fix the problem

6. Gonçalo
    November 23, 2007 at 5:28 am

everything working good,not a single bug.
    tanks daniel

7. Jason
    November 24, 2007 at 8:14 pm

Kleinwachter – I’m having the same problem.

I delete unwanted messages after they have downloaded from the hotmail server then when it rechecks for new messages it redownloads those same messages I’ve deleted.

I’ve changed the settings to mark downloaded messages as read and also have changed it to delete download messages. They continue to download regardless?

Thanks for anyone’s help.

Jason

8. Kleinwachter
    November 27, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Well I do not know what to say about the duplicates. I had this problem until I changed the parameter noted above. Once I did this, my duplicates went away. The first time I tried the above, I did not select the SAVE button when I attempted to close the Mail preference window and therefore, the parameter that I thought was changed was not indeed changed. When I brought up the Preferences again, I saw that, indeed, I had not changed anything.
    When I saw your post that this did not work, then I did a test. I sent 5 messages to myself from another Id. I saw them downloaded and did not see them again on the next GET MAIL nor on the restart o fhe Mail application. In other words, my Hotmail does NOT seem to have the same symptom.
    I wonder if you log into Hotmail via the Internet. Then send yourself some mail. Refresh you Inbox on the web to make sure the message was seen there. Then do a GET MAIL from Mail on OSX and then see if this changes the Web site if you do a refresh. Maybe this test will highlight something.

9. Salrock
    November 29, 2007 at 4:23 am

Kinda figured out my problem with emails returning. I noticed that after I made the recommended MARK DOWNLOADED MESSAGES AS READ change (thanks again) that the same old emails kept getting picked up, but not the new ones. In MSN delete the old emails, the new ones take care of themselves, Whalla!

10. Minister
    December 1, 2007 at 11:17 am

I have followed the instructions on marking the downloaded msgs as read. However, any new messages that come in are not being marked as read and when I delete them they get downloaded once again. It’s a vicious cycle. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

11. Kleinwachter
    December 1, 2007 at 4:46 pm

One last possibility for Minister. Try changing the parameter to read “Delete Downloaded Messages” instead of MARK DOWNLOADED MESSAGES AS READ. This might be server dependent as to which will prevent duplicats..

12. Canman
    December 5, 2007 at 9:48 am

I have been using httpmail with leopard for some time now and love it. However, recently I attempted to add another account and mail crashed. Now when starting mail, the desktop stays empty. I have to push command+1 to view inbox. Then, when going to preferences and clicking on accounts, mail freezes so i can not delete the new account. Anyone able to help me out?

13. Faihan Otaibi
    December 12, 2007 at 12:07 pm

Hello Everyone
    Is there any plugin out there to have my Leopard Mail connect to my Exchange Server from behind a firewall?
    I was using Outlook 2003 and 2007 in windows and it has a feature to setup a proxy setting for the server using its URL and Principle server.
    Since I moved to Mac , I had to install Windows and Office on my MacBook just to get to this email account. In my office when on the company network, Mail works fine.

Any ideas? Please Email me any helpful feedback.

Thanks

14. Minister
    December 19, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Kleinwachter,
    Thank you for your suggestion. After changing the tab to “Delete Downloaded Messages” and restarting my computer, everything has worked fine.

I appreciate it.
    Minister

15. Wilfred
    December 26, 2007 at 9:56 pm

Hi,

I installed the httpmail plugin for Mac mail.
    I think I got it configured.
    I managed to get the folders I created in Hotmail in Mac mail.
    However, I didn’t manage to receive any of my mail. Neither in the Inbox, nor in the differents folders I created.
    Do you have an idea why ?

16. Paulc
    December 30, 2007 at 8:18 am

Hi Daniel

Thanks again for getting your app working with Leopard, works a treat!

A long shot here (and I don’t know if Santa brought you an iPhone or an iPod touch), but do you have any plans to produce an app for the MobileMail applications for these new toys?

Hope you’re enjoying your Christmas/New Year break!

God Bless

Paulc

17. Pingback: Loan information
  18. Tone.
    January 7, 2008 at 3:28 pm

daniel man,
    iv been refreshing this page for a while now, eager to hear your experiment is working, i wanted to note how much your helping so many people, im only 17 and am completely into mac, and if your plugin works you’ll be everyone’s hero. i think the ‘mac family’ of all the mac users will be over the moon when you come through with the plugin.
    many thanks.
    tone.

19. Pingback: Pda ratings
  20. Mr. Freeze
    January 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm

I’m having a problem… httpmail 1.51 is causing Mail to freeze up every time I open it on my 2005 iMac running Leopard. – It happens consistently about five seconds after I open the Mail program. I have a new 2007 iMac that httpmail is working on just fine. In that five seconds of grace time, I was finally able to uninstall the httpmail account in the preferences, and lo, Mail never froze up again…

Any hope of fixing this bug?

Thanks for an otherwise great program!!! I love it when it’s working….

21. Mr. Freeze
    January 12, 2008 at 8:19 am

Update… httpmail just stopped working on my new computer also. It doesn’t freeze, but now I can’t open any messages… I recently set the two computers to sync together… any chance the issue is related to that, or has some mac update messed things up?

22. michael
    January 14, 2008 at 5:22 pm

HI-

I love your plug in, however I’m having 1 problem, all my mail is being downloaded from my MSN box (800-900 hundred emails) How can I st it up just to download recent mail messages? Thanks!!

MM

23. silvia
    January 21, 2008 at 5:10 am

Hello, I am new to the MAC world and i have just downloaded the plugin but it doesnt appear in my Mail when i hve to chose in preferences between POP, IMAP ………………… Its the first thing i hve downloaded and i may not have installed it properly. what should I do? Thank you.

24. Jon
    February 6, 2008 at 11:28 am

Hi Daniel:
    I am a new Mac user and my Imac with Leopard is crashed to the point I cannot open files or launch apps. I recently downloaded an older version of your HTTPMail plug in to see if I could get Apple Mail to access my hotmail account (it didn’t work). I would like to uninstall this plug in and would appreciate knowing how to do that.

Many thanks.

Jon

25. Mark
    February 19, 2008 at 1:28 am

Any more luck on the fix?

26. JD
    April 5, 2008 at 11:59 am

Hey Daniel,

G4 laptop running Tiger, HTTPplug 1.49.

I wish I could post some screen shots as to what is happening with the HTTPMail plug on my Tiger machine. As of recently (within the past 2 or 3 weeks) my mail.app has not been able to actually read or store downloaded hotmail messages. If I have a “Homail” account highlighted in the left hand pain prior to “Get all mail” then I can see the messages normally. But if I happen to highlight any other account and return to the hotmail accountt all the downloaded messages disappear. If I don’t have a hotmail account highlighted then it shows me that there are messages within the account, but, as soon as I select the account all messages disappear before I even get a chance to read them. I hope I am being clear enough as to give you an idea of what is going on.

I realize that this version is a bit dated but any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. The jump to Leopard is not an expense I can occur at this time nor is it required.

Thanks in advance for all your fine work and any help you can dedicate to this matter..
    Best wishes,

JD

27. Harald Germany
    April 9, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Thank you very much for your http-tool. I use it since 3 years and it works very fine.

28. Kevin
    April 12, 2008 at 7:11 am

Just want to thank you and appreciate you making this wonderful plug-in.

29. Benjamin
    April 14, 2008 at 8:47 am

Hello some off you say you got it working fine. But can’t i see a link to download the plug-in. Can someone please give me a link to download it?

30. Eddie Flynn
    April 27, 2008 at 4:26 am

Everytime I try and download your plugin for my ibook 10.3.9 it tells me I don’t have the up to date OS. Anyone know here I can get a hotmail plugin for an ibook, 10.3.9?

31. Dawn Kelly
    May 3, 2008 at 11:07 am

Hi Daniel, Thanks so much for the plug-in. It works perfectly on my new Mac Air and I’m running two hotmail accounts without any hitches. Cheers, Dawn 🙂

32. Elad Berger
    May 30, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Does anyone experience problem after updating to 10.5.3?

33. Eduardo
    May 30, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Hi, I update my mac to 10.5.3 and HTTP Mail doesn´t work anymore 🙁

34. Ruben
    May 31, 2008 at 1:36 am

Since I updated to 1-.5.3 httpmail does not work anymore indeed 🙁
    Using the Connection Doctor in Mail.app, the activity viewer tells me it keeps trying to connect to MSN servers for a while, then the connection doctor tells me mail.app is unable to connect to the servers and I should check my account settings. (Before the update to 10.5.3 it worked with current settings.)

35. johan
    May 31, 2008 at 12:16 pm

same problem with x.5.3 here… update on it’s way?

36. Gabe
    June 2, 2008 at 12:46 pm

I’m having the same problem. Just updated to 10.5.3…

37. Zack
    June 2, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I’m having the same problem! Just updated to x.5.3…help!
    Thanks Daniel!

38. Matt
    June 3, 2008 at 10:00 am

Same issue as above. Updated to x.5.3 and my messages are not loading.

39. nick.
    June 3, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I should be working but it’s not…

40. J. Miller
    June 3, 2008 at 7:08 pm

How so I uninstall this plugin?

41. J. Miller
    June 3, 2008 at 7:08 pm

How do I uninstall this plugin?

42. June 4, 2008 at 7:10 am

only solution is to go back with time machine and reinstall older program

43. Nico
    June 5, 2008 at 9:34 am

How do I get rid of this thing (Uninstall)?
    1.To de-install the plugin, you must delete the httpmail.mailbundle folder in the Bundles folder of the current user. The path is likely to be: Macintosh HD / Users / [current user name] / Library / Mail / Bundles. You should also delete any httpmail accounts you have created before uninstalling the plugin.2.Then you may then de-activate the Mail plug-in facility by executing the following command in a Terminal window, paying great attention to the exact spelling:

defaults write com.apple.mail EnableBundles 0

44. June 5, 2008 at 11:58 am

I’m sure a lot of us would appreciate any response from the developer with regards to the future of this plugin.

ie: is this ever gonna work again, and if so, are you able to give us an idea when it will?

45. ed
    June 7, 2008 at 8:19 am

Can I donate ?

46. jantje
    June 9, 2008 at 10:31 am

Have same problem. updated to leopard 15.3. hotmail isnt working in mail anymore. mail cannot connect to hotmail server.
    Please develop a new httpmail plugin for 15.3

keep up the good work!!!

47. José Miguel Kolubakin
    June 10, 2008 at 5:32 am

Hi…I Have same problem with leopard 15.3. Hotmail plug in isnt working in mail anymore. mail cannot connect to hotmail server.
    Please help us!!!!!

48. Joseph Sexton
    June 10, 2008 at 9:35 am

Same problem here too.

49. Noukie
    June 12, 2008 at 1:07 am

same problem too… I’m desperate, I need my hotmail!